Best known in the sailing industry for being the ‘nicest man in the sport’, Matt Cornwell has campaigned for two America’s Cups; with Areva Challenge in 2007 and GBR challenge in 2003. A hugely experienced sailor in both monohulls and multi-hull, fleet and match racing, Matt joined Team Korea to compete on the 2012/13 ACWS.
He brings a wealth of achievements to Land Rover BAR – alongside his AC experience, he has won multiple championship titles and was part of the winning 2010 World Match Racing Championship team with BAR skipper, Ben Ainslie after enjoying a number of podium finishes on the 2010 circuit.
Matt also competed on the Med Cup circuit for five years and finished second in the 2008 Extreme Sailing Series with British entry, Team Origin. In 2014 he was back racing on the Extreme 40 circuit, as bowman for J.P. Morgan BAR.
Do you have a cool party trick?
I can mix vinyl records.
What do you like doing in your free time?
Spending time with family and friends.
What is your best ‘bad ass’ moment?
Getting barrelled in a wave.
Do you have a hidden talent?
I can skate backwards.
What is your guilty pleasure?
Chocolate, definitely chocolate
What do you always have in your fridge?
Mango chutney, I’m a curry fan.
What is your best advice to everyone out there?
Live life by your values. It will lead to happiness.
What is your favourite hobby?
Surfing. I’m addicted to it.
Do you have a fun fact about yourself?
I’m very ticklish.
• 2012/13 ACWS – Sailor with Team Korea
• 2013: Broke the ‘Round the Island Race Multihull record’ with J.P. Morgan BAR in the AC45
• 2007 – 32nd America’s Cup, Valencia – Spain, sailor with Areva Challenge (FRA)
• 2010: World Match Racing Champion with Teamorigin
• 2009: Maxi Worlds with Alfa Romeo – 1st Mini Maxi Div
• 2008: 1st – set the multihull record, Round the Island Race with Teamorigin Extreme 40
• 2003: 6th – Louis Vuitton Cup GBR Challenge