New Zealander, Andy ‘Animal’ McLean is an experienced inshore and offshore racer. He has campaigned three times for the America’s Cup, twice for his home country New Zealand, and competed in two editions of the global Volvo Ocean Race (VOR).
Most recently he competed in the 2012/ 13 America’s Cup World Series (ACWS) and the 30th Louis Vuitton Cup with Artemis Racing, on-board as a grinder and part of the performance and instruments shore team.
He also competed in the last edition of the VOR as Pitman/Trimmer on-board Team Camper, enjoying a second place finish, after making his VOR debut in 2008/09 on-board Green Dragon.
A qualified mechanical engineer, Andy was also part of the winning 2007 Louis Vuitton Cup team with fellow New Zealander and Land Rover BAR teammates, Jono Macbeth and Ben Ainslie. He will play a vital role in the Land Rover BAR team, acting as the sailing and design team liaison.
Do you have a cool party trick?
I’m a Kiwi, we don’t have party tricks.
What do you like doing in your free time?
Relaxing as we don’t get too much time to switch off in a Cup team
What is your best ‘bad ass’ moment?
Sailing around the world with Green Dragon and Camper in the Volvo Ocean Race
Do you have a hidden talent?
I’m a Mechanical Engineer
What is your guilty pleasure?
What do you always have in your fridge?
What is your best advice to everyone out there?
Work hard and you will succeed
What is your favourite hobby?
Do you have a fun fact about yourself?
When I was a child I went to a party with Michael Jackson
I grew up in Brunei and Singapore
I won a national maths prize in New Zealand when I was 16
• 2013: 4th – 30th Anniversary of the Louis Vuitton Cup with Artemis Racing, AC72
• 2013: Broke the Round the Island Race multihull record with J.P. Morgan BAR in the AC45
• 2011/ 2012 Volvo Ocean Race with Team Camper, Pitman/Navigator – 2nd
• 2008/ 2009 Volvo Ocean Race with Green Dragon, Pitman/Navigator – 5th
• 2007: Challenger and runner up – 32nd America’s Cup with Emirates Team New Zealand
• 2007: Winner – Louis Vuitton Cup with Emirates Team New Zealand
• 2003: Defender and runner up – 32nd America’s Cup, Emirates Team New Zealand